These Ricotta Griddle Cakes combines a sweetness with yoghurt and fruity flavours to offer a (relatively) guilt free treat that will swiftly become a firm favourite.
How it’s done
- For the griddle cakes, place the ricotta cheese, semi-skimmed milk, runny honey and egg yolks into a bowl.
- Using a hand whisk or electric mixer, mix the ingredients together.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add it to the ricotta mixture a tbsp at a time as you whisk until you achieve a smooth batter.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites to soft peaks then add caster sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy.
- Add a spoonful of the egg whites to the ricotta mixture to slacken it and then fold in the remainder of the whisked egg whites using a whisk or hand mixer.
- Oil or butter a non-stick frying pan and spoon 2 tbsp of the ricotta batter into the pan for each griddle cake. Don’t overcrowd the pan.
- Cook over a medium-to-low heat for about 2 minutes before flipping them over and repeating until they are golden. Cook the griddle cakes in batches and keep them warm.
- Meanwhile, combine the yoghurt with the cinnamon and 2 tbsp honey.
- Spoon the yoghurt over the cakes, top with the berries and drizzle with the remaining honey.