We made our cheese and olive scones using the Breville Pick & Mix stand and hand mixer. Perfect for afternoon tea, a naughty snack or dessert!
How it’s done
- Heat the oven to 200°C/gas 6
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Fry the onion gently in the oil until translucent and soften, then set aside to cool.
- Add the flour, baking power, salt, mustard, paprika and a good grind of black pepper to a mixing bowl.
- Add the softened butter and using the twin beaters of your Pick & Mix stand and mixer, mix on a slow speed until the butter has dispersed through the dry ingredients. (The twin beaters will break up the butter super quick).
- Add the onion, olives and 2/3 of the cheese. Mix again, slowly.
- In a separate jug, beat the egg and a splash of milk. Carefully add to the mixture, do not over mix as your scone dough should be soft, not sticky.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, shape into a round and flatten down, then roll out gently to approximately 2cm thick.
- Using a plain cutter, stamp out rounds, using up the trimmings and gently re-rolling for further scones.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet, brush with a little milk and then bake for approx 10-12 minutes until golden brown and risen.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.