Everyone has their favourite don’t they? Lemon and sugar. Banana and chocolate. Ham and cheese. The Breville® Crêpe Maker is for those and so much more. Use yours to indulge in our Buckwheat Blinis and serve with smoked salmon and crème fraiche.
How it’s done
- In a bowl, sift both buckwheat and plain flour together, add the salt and sprinkle in the yeast.
- In a pan, gently heat the milk and crème fraiche so the milk is warm, but not hot. Remove the milk from the heat.
- Separate the egg whites and the egg yolks. You will need the egg whites later, so don’t throw away! Then whisk in the egg yolk to the milk.
- Whisk the mixture into the flour until you have a thick batter. Cover the batter with a cloth and leave it for an hour. The blini mixture will now be sponge-like.
- In a bowl, mix the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then gently fold into the batter. Cover and leave for another hour.
- Brush your Breville® Crêpe Maker with melted butter and turn on the heat to setting 4.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of batter onto the plate and then top with another ½ tbsp. The mixture won’t spread out much, so this amount of mixture will create a blini that is about 10cm (4 inches) in diameter.
- After about 40 seconds, flip the blini over and cook for approximately 30 seconds.
- Transfer the blini to a cooling rack and then repeat the process, covering the plate in melted butter each time before spooning on the batter. You should get about 20 blinis from the mixture.
- Wrap the blinis in foil and place them in a pre-heated over for 10 minutes at 140 °C (gas mark 1).
- Serve the blinis on warm plates topped with crème fraiche and smoked salmon.