What are you going to be eating on Christmas day?
We’ve surveyed the nation and discovered that one in four of us won’t be sitting down to a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings this Christmas day. It’s no surprise that we may opt for something a little alternative on the big day, considering the average Brit is going to eat four Christmas dinners throughout the festive period!
Whether you’re opting for a curry, or a salad, check out the top 10 alternative Christmas dinner recipes for a little inspiration.
Let’s face it, if you’re going to spend eight hours preparing, cooking and cleaning for your guests, only for your meal to be demolished in a little over 90 minutes, you want it to be extraordinary!
Our top 10 turkey alternatives
- Beef – maybe something Italian like our slow cooked beef ragu, or a traditional steak & kidney pie.
- Chicken – we wouldn’t turn down lemon and black peppered chicken with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
- Ham – TV chef Phil Vickery has a delicious ham hock recipe, our favourite thing about them is that there will be enough leftovers for sandwiches on Boxing Day!
- Salmon – perfect for the veggies in your family, salmon is delicious marinated in soy sauce and paired with asparagus.
- Lamb – how about a lamb roast dinner or lamb chops with pesto?
- Duck – add some berry and port sauce for something a little special, or add some Asian influence to your Christmas day with Chinese five spice sauce.
- Three Bird Roast – a bird, in a bird, in a bird? The Royal Roast can be bought ready to pop in the oven from your favourite supermarkets, or you can do it yourself.
- Goose – though some of us may be swapping the favourite goose fat roast potatoes to save a few calories, goose is still one of the nations favourite alternatives for Christmas day dinner!
- Steak – fillet steak with seasonal veg, potatoes and a parmesan sauce will ensure you’re able to entertain your guests and keep food preparation to a minimum.
- Curry – we’re seeing more and more curry houses opening on Christmas day. Though some of them serve both curries and Christmas dinner, you may want to make your favourite curry in the comfort of your own home for all the family. For Thai food lovers, our Thai curry is delicious and takes just 30 minutes to cook. For the veggies among us, a real egg Indian curry is full of flavour and spice.