Don’t choose between coffee or chocolate, have them both! We made our espresso cupcakes by detaching the hand mixer from the Breville Pick & Mix stand and hand mixer.
How it’s done
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan and fill a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- Lightly warm the milk in a small pan or a microwave for about a minute, then dissolve the espresso powder in it. Mix well and place aside.
- Place the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt into the mixing bowl and mix on a low speed until a breadcrumb type texture is achieved.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract into the espresso mixture and whisk gently until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on a low speed. Gradually increase the speed of your Pick & Mix hand mixer until everything is mixed together and you have a smooth cake batter.
- Pour the cake mixture into the cases, filling each case about two-thirds full. The mixture should make about 12-16 cupcakes.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes and then leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Warm the milk in the microwave or a small pan and dissolve the espresso powder in it. Set aside to cool.
- Place the softened butter and icing sugar into the mixing bowl, mix on a low speed until they are fully combined. Slowly start to add the espresso mixture, increasing the speed of your hand mixer until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe the frosting onto your cooled cupcakes, decorating with chocolate beans or curls.