Everyone has their favourite don’t they? Lemon and sugar. Banana and chocolate. Ham and cheese. The Breville® Crêpe Maker is for those and so much more. Use yours to indulge in our Cured Ham and Cheese Quesadillas.
Originating in Mexico, a quesadilla is a soft tortilla filled with cheese and a variety of vegetables chicken or meat. They are often baked or fried to crisp the tortilla. We use the Breville® Crêpe Maker to make our cured ham and cheese quesadillas.
Be brave and make your own tortillas using our Breville® Crêpe Maker Tortilla Recipe, or you can cheat and buy tortillas from your local supermarket. The secret to the delicious flavour in these quesadillas is to cut the peppers and onions into a really fine dice.
How it’s done
Homemade flour tortillas
- Sift the flour into a bowl, rubbing in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Dissolve the salt in the warm water and then add it gradually to the flour mixture, stirring until you have a soft dough. You may not need all the water.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it is smooth and elastic. Divide them into about 12 balls and put them on a lightly greased tray, and cover it with cling film and rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Pre-heat your Breville® Crêpe maker to setting 3 with no oil.
- Roll out each ball into a circle that is about 20cm across. Lay one on the plate and cook for 1 minute until it starts to pull off. The flip it over and cook it on the other side. It should still be soft.
The cured ham and cheese filling…
- Heat your Breville® Crêpe Maker on setting 3, without any oil.
- Place all the cheese and onion into a bowl and combine well.
- Once your Breville® Crêpe Maker is at the right temperature, add one of the tortillas. Add the sliced ham and a couple of handfuls of the cheese mixture on top, as if you were making a pizza. Spread this out to within 1cm of the outer edge of the tortilla. Add the second tortilla on top of the first.
- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes until the brie starts to melt and the base of the tortilla turns golden and crisp.
- Place your hand gently on top of the quesadillas (it won’t be hot) and ease a spatula underneath. Flip the quesadillas over and cook for a few more minutes until crisp.
- Serve hot cut into wedges. The Breville® Crêpe Maker Cured Ham and Cheese Quesadillas are delicious served with a side of spicy salsa and avocado dip.